This FAQ aims to tell you all you need to know about Caller ID - how it works, the best phones to use, how to retrieve it on your computer and independent reviews of dozens of Caller ID programs.
When I first bought a Caller ID-capable modem, I was helped enormously by uk.telecom; from posts there I assembled the first draft of this FAQ, and it grew from there. www.calleridfaq.com will get you here, but http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid.htm is the main URL of this page. Please mail if you have any new information or corrections to tell me about; thanks to those who've mailed me so far. The last few years have been somewhat hectic, but I have started the long slow job of updating the FAQ, so keep the emails coming!
The first stage of the update has been to split the FAQ into smaller pieces and convert the pages to XHTML. I suggest you start with the general Caller ID FAQ (v3.00 10/Feb/04 - 50K) and then move onto the page with specific information on the Caller ID standards used in your country and the equipment that uses those standards :
- Bellcore (now Telcordia) is used in Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Singapore and USA
- BT and CCA standards in the UK (with reviews of UK boxes, UK phones and UK cordless phones)
- DTMF-based in Brazil, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, India, Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Sweden & Uruguay
- ETSI in Eire, France, Germany, Norway, Italy, Spain, South Africa and Turkey
- NTT standard in Japan
- "USSR ANI-hacking" in the former Soviet Union